Before you start, please note that the TomaEditor can be used to create two types of exams:
• Online exams
• Safe & Mix (printed) exams
Some instructions are relevant only to one of the two types of exams; the differences will be specified below
(To enlarge the image, click it with your mouse)
(1) Exam Mode - Online or Printed (2) General settings (3) Question view
(7) Add items (8) Total score (9) Approve and save
Create a question
To create a new question, click the Add Question button on the floating bar. The Question Editor window will open.
Question Editor Screen and Menu
(1) Add question (2) Question menu (3) Point allocation (4) Editing tools (5) Question editor
(6) Answers (7) Edit answers (8) Add answers (9) Additional functions
General Question Settings
(1) Pin question so that it won’t be scrambled (open ended questions are pinned automatically) (2) Define bonus question (3) Delete question (4) Indent question to create a subsection (open ended questions only) (5) Duplicate question (6) Record question
Additional functions (click on the three points) depend on exam mode and will be explained below in the section pertaining to open ended questions.
Recording questions and answers
Click Add recording to a question and/or answer to record directly into the program or upload an audio file.
Note: For exams in English, the built-in Text To Speech tool can be used instead of the recording function.
Creating multiple-choice questions
1. In the Question Type menu, select multiple-choice.
2. Select the number of points this question is worth . (You can also allocate points for several questions at once-- see Manage Questions below).
3. Type the question and format it with the toolbar.
4. Add and type the answers to the question.
1. Select the correct answer. For each multiple -choice question, one correct answer must be selected
2. Pin the answer. A pinned answer will not be scrambled; it will be displayed in the same position on all the students’ exams
3. Record answers (For students who are entitled to exam access arrangements). Note! The microphone and recording icons are only relevant for online exams, so they will not appear in the print mode
4. Delete answer
When a question has an answer that references other answers, for example, ‘’Answers a and c are correct’’, a link must be created to ensure that despite the scrambling process, the right answers are always referenced. Therefore, make sure to link the answers as explain in the video below:
Creating an open-ended question
1. In the Question Type menu, select Open Question
2. Select the number of points this question is worth. (You can also allocate points for several questions at once-- see Manage Questions below)
3. Type the question and use the tool bar to format it
Settings for open-ended questions in online exams
(1) Word limitation- you can limit the number of words that an answer can contain
(2) Allow Scanned answers - You can allow students to scan their answers to the app. Instruct the students to write down their answers on paper and then scan them after submitting their exam. You can read our instructions to students on how to scan their answers here
Settings for a open ended question in print mode
Note: The system pins open-ended questions by default and this cannot be changed.
In print mode, the open-ended questions should be positioned after the multiple-choice questions.
Creating sub questions
Indent and Outdent
Use the (1) indent button to turn an open ended question into a sub question
Use the (2) Outdent button to turn a sub question into an open ended question
Note: subs questions can only be added to open-ended questions.
Changing the order in which questions appear
(1)To change the order in which questions appear, place your cursor at the middle-top part of the question. 6 grey dots will appear. Click on them and drag the question to reposition it.
Bulk actions and groups
The question management toolbar allows you to format a bulk of questions and to create groups (blocks). Check the box next to the question to apply a certain action to a specific question.
(1) Select all questions or undo selection (2) Allocating points for selected questions (3) Create questions group (block) (4) Create a selection group (for example answer 2 out of 5 questions)
(5) Define a bonus question (6) Pin selected questions (7) Delete selected questions
Allocating points to selected questions and calculating scores
This function allows you to allocate points to the selected questions.
Creating a group of questions (block)
A group of questions allows you to keep questions together. In a scrambled exam, the group will mix with the other questions as a block and the multiple choice questions will only be scrambled within the block.
The following video explains how to set up a questions group:
Creating a selection group
A selection group is a block of questions (see above) from which the student is instructed to choose and answer a certain number of questions out of the total questions within the group.
Duplicating a block
In the More Functions menu (three-point button), click on Duplicate group. The group will be cloned and placed directly below the original group.
General settings and display
The top toolbar allows you to define the exam mode (printed or online), the exam display language and formatting options for questions and answers. It also allows you to preview the final display, undo or redo latest actions or change the question display.
Closing, Saving and Approving
- Close - Exit the editor without completing the exam creation process (the exam draft will be saved and you can resume work later)
- Save - Save the exam draft
- Approve - Approve the content and go on to complete the exam creation process
Appendices and additional guidelines
Uploading appendices is possible after clicking on the Approve button by the editor.
The Guidelines Screen is the next step in the exam creation process, and it will allow you to upload appendices and add the required instructions for the Exam Department .